Friday, January 10, 2014

Rustic Wooden Wall Art

Hey There,

Ever since we moved into our home, I've been trying to get the right look--you know, the look that says the house you live in is really your home? I'm not a designer or decorator, and it's take me a while to figure out how I wanted things to look. It's easy to walk into a store and buy artwork, but it's not so easy to create a custom look on budget. Now that I've decided to stick to rustic decor, I have been working hard to pull everything together.

Last year, I splurged and bought a large cut-out map of the United States from Cost Plus. This was on sale, but it wasn't cheap! So, we get home, hang it on the wall, and it's missing something. I loved the way the map looked, but it looked bare on the wall. I added sconces with candles on either side of the map, which helped, but I still wasn't happy with the final result. I have to add that Hubby thought it was fine, and I think he was hoping I would just forget about it. Well, we all know how that goes--if something doesn't look quite right, you can't just forget about it.


rustic usa wall map


Anyway, I finally decided that the map needed a background, and I decided to fake the look of an old, wooden gate and hang the map onto the gate. I found the type of wood I was looking for at Home Depot. I bought a combination of redwood and pine fencing, and some of the boards were nice and rough. I also sanded the ends so that they would look worn. 

rustic wood wall art


I thought about distressing them or adding a chippy paint finish, but I really loved the look of the natural wood. I alternated the colors and the ends so that one end is rounded and the other is straight.

 rustic wood wall art

Hubby was kind enough to do the heavy work for me--I think he was seeing a light to the end of this tunnel! He cut the wood and fastened the boards together with the cut pieces. On the back, we used heavy wire to hold the boards. The map already had two hooks on its back, so we just added two nails to the front of the boards and hung the map onto the nails.


rustic wooden wall art, DIY wood gate

Our family room gets a lot of sun in the afternoon, so the wood may fade over the years, which is fine with me! Getting a good photo is tricky sometimes, and the walls are really a nice tan. Actually I think it is Wilmington Tan, but we used Behr paint. I love how it looks on the wall now! The boards themselves were not expensive, and I think the whole project cost about $12! 

rustic wooden wall art map, Wilmington tan paint

I'm planning to make a few more minor changes to the room, and then, I may be brave enough to show off our family room. I ended up painting the laminate bookcases and the TV stand too, and the effect is really nice since the map is on the wall above the TV. Everything fits well together.  

So, I guess the moral of the story is you can combine store-bought pieces and your own DIY creations to get your own custom look! Yes--I've finally figured this out!

Thanks for listening, and have a wonderful day!

Dee :)

Linking With:

DIY Sunday ShowcaseShow and Tell SaturdaySnickerdoodle SundayThe Chicken ChickMetamorphosis MondayInspire Me TuesdayTuesdays at our HomeThe ScoopTake-A-Look TuesdayWow Us WednesdaysWow Me WednesdayWhimsy WednesdaysWhatever Goes WednesdayHit Me With Your Best ShotWinter Blues WednesdayWonderful Wednesday Blog HopAll Things ThursdayTreasure Hunt ThursdayCommon GroundSimple and Sweet FridaysFridays UnfoldedFeathered Nest FridayFabulously Creative FridayCraft Frenzy FridayFlaunt it FridayDiana RamblesLink Party Palooza at TT&JBest of the Weekend PartyTreasure Box TuesdaysWorthwhile WednesdaysDesign It FridayTickled Pink Times TwoThrifty Decor Chick

32 comments:

  1. Wow, Dee, I think that looks amazing! I love maps and keep looking at this really huge world map at IKEA, but it's pricey. I think adding your map to the wood background really gave it a strong presence and is perfect.

    Thank you so much for stopping by my blog and for your really sweet comment about our storage idea. I'm so very lucky to have a hubby who can do so many things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Carol. I've always wanted a world map, but like you said, they are really pricey. Have a great week! :)

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness do I love this. Pinned, tweeted, G+'d!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Diana! Thanks a bunch for doing this! Have an awesome week! :)

      Delete
  3. What a fun piece! I love the texture and how you made it work for your space! I'd love for you to link this up to our All Things Thursday Blog Hop this week! Hope to see you there!
    Blessings,
    Nici

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the invite and sweet comments, Nici. I will definitely be there! :)

      Delete
  4. What a fabulous addition to your wooden map! Wow, now it really makes a statement on the wall! Great job. Visiting from the Inspire Me Tuesday party.

    - Tasha @ Designer Trapped in a Lawyer's Body {www.designertrapped.com}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tasha! By the way, I love the name of your blog. Have a great week! :)

      Delete
  5. looks totally awesome! I love the colors and roughness of the boards, great idea using two colors and alternating, it really sets off the map which is totally awesome by itself. My hubby is the same way Dee - I hear this all the time "what? it looks fine....you want to do what?" lol Thanks for linking to Snickerdoodle Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I know, my husband has finally learned to hear me out. I told him we could either make some minor changes or paint the room! :) Thanks again for hosting the party! :)

      Delete
  6. so glad you found the solution for this piece to have the impact you were going for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely looks much better this way. Thanks so much for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  7. I love how this turned out! The link party I cohost is closing in just an hour, I'd love for you to link up or stop by on Thursday evening to link this project up. It's so creative and I love all things rustic! Katie @ Addicted2DIY http://addicted2diy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katie--I would love to link up, but I can't seem to find your blog! Help! :)

      Delete
  8. Love, love, love how you added the map to the wood! Such a fantastic solution to give it more presence!

    Angela @ Number Fifty-Three

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Angela! I love how it looks now, so there is peace in the land for now-ha ha! :)

      Delete
  9. I like how you added the map to the wood. Makes it look complete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jamie! This exactly what I was trying to achieve! :)

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Deb! Have a great day! :)

      Delete
  11. What a wonderful craft!
    Brandi @ Nest of Bliss

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brandi. We really like it! Have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  12. Well now, that thought and work came together just wonderful, love the map!
    Visiting from Common Ground today.
    Michele

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michele. Thanks for the sweet comment! Have a wonderful weekend! :)

      Delete
  13. This turned out Awesome! Such a great statement piece! Thank you for linking up to the Hit Me With Your Best Shot Link Party...I'm featuring you this morning on OneKriegerChick!

    Happy Weekend!
    ~Ariean http://onekriegerchick.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous, I love maps and old wood, this is perfect. Thank you for sharing at Treasure Box Tuesday. Pinning!
    Wanda Ann @ Memories by the Mile

    ReplyDelete
  15. Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Holly! Hop you're having a great day!

      Delete
  16. Is this map still for sale anywhere? My soon to be hubby would love to make a photo map with it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found it at Cost Plus, so you may want to check your nearest store or the website. I also saw something similar at Pier One. :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love receiving your comments, and I will respond as soon as I can!