Thursday, May 15, 2014

Easy Tomato Bruschetta and Salad

Hello All!

May is National Salad Month, which seems fitting because we've been having salad for dinner a lot lately. Not only are salads perfect warm-weather meals, but they are also quick and easy to prepare. And, because it's insanely busy around our home this time of year, I'm all about quick and easy dinners! 
Normally, I love serving cooked chicken over salad, but if we're really pressed for time, I'll serve tomato bruschetta as an appetizer, and I'll set up a mini salad bar that includes cold cuts with a variety of different toppings. Even the picky eaters enjoy this type of dinner! 


tomato bruschetta with feta

To make the bruschetta, you'll need:

  • 1 loaf of crusty bread
  • 3 ripe tomatoes
  • 4 tablespoons olive oil
  • Italian seasoning, to taste
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
  • Crumbled feta 

marinated tomatoes and toasted bread


Dice the tomatoes, and then marinate them in the olive oil, salt, pepper and seasoning mixture. I do have to add that I love using fresh basil, but our garden isn't quite ready yet, so this is why I used the dried herbs. If you have fresh basil, by all means, use it!

While the tomatoes are mingling with the olive oil, cut the bread and toast it until it's nice and crunchy. Then, simply spoon the tomatoes over the toast slices and top with the feta cheese. We usually place a platter of bruschetta on the kitchen island and let people help themselves. You can also serve it along with your favorite beverage!

tomato bruschetta and feta cheese on a plate with wine

For the salad toppings, I served thin slices of cold cuts and cheese, strawberries, cucumbers and carrots. We also included raisins and cashews. The kids love being able to hide the salad greens! Because we had the bruschetta, I didn't serve any tomatoes this time around.

salad greens with cucumbers, strawberries, cheese, carrots, cold cuts on a plate

How's that for a quick and easy dinner?! There aren't many dishes either, so cleaning up is a breeze, and that's always a good thing!

So, what's your favorite quick and easy meal for summer? Do your family members enjoy salads, or do they avoid them? Enquiring minds want to know!

Thanks for visiting! Have an awesome day!

Dee  :)

Linking With:
I Heart NaptimeWow Me WednesdayWhimsy WedensdayWonderful Wednesday HopWednesday RoundupFull Plate ThursdayParty in your PJsBest of the WeekendSay G'DayMetamorphosis MondayInspire Me TuesdayThe ScoopTreasure Box TuesdayWow us Wednesday

10 comments:

  1. I love Bruschetta! It's my favorite thing that goes on bread.I'm pinning this! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Leslie! I could easily have this alone for dinner, and I would be happy! :)

      Delete
  2. Yum...I need to try it with Feta! Pinned it...thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Feta takes it to another level -- love the saltiness too! :)

      Delete
  3. Great Bruschetta, this looks so good. Thanks so much for sharing your recipe with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you are having a great week and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting the party, Miz Helen. :)

      Delete
  4. Oh this looks delicious. Thanks tons for the recipe and thanks for linking to Inspire Me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Marty. I love visiting your party! :)

      Delete
  5. Hi Dee! Perfect for summer entertaining and both recipes look absolutely delicious! Thank you so much for sharing at Best of the Weekend and pinned! Have a wonderful rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This would be great for entertaining! Thanks for your sweet comments, Cindy! :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love receiving your comments, and I will respond on the blog as soon as I can! If you need to email me directly, check my About page for my email address.