Monday, May 19, 2014

How to Make a Wooden American Flag

Make an American flag from wooden garden stakes

Hi Everyone!

Can you believe the summer holidays are almost here? We have Memorial Day, Flag Day and Independence Day, to name a few, and that means it's time to bring out the patriotic decor. If you've been following this blog, you know how much I love to make wooden signs and other decorations, so of course, I had to make a wooden American flag!


American flag made from wood fence posts

This is such an easy project, and it didn't cost me a dime because I already had everything I needed. Back when I made the rustic fence for my mantel, I had a lot of wooden garden stakes left over, and they were practically calling my name from their little corner in the garage. If you enjoy diy projects, you'll understand!

Anyway, if you want to make a flag out of wood stakes, here are the supplies you'll need:
  • Wooden garden stakes -- I had hubby cut them to size
  • Paint
  • Glue
  • Star stencils
  • Screws
  • Thin wire
  • Ribbon
After Hubby cut the wood, I sanded the pieces until they were fairly smooth.


wooden garden stakes

Then, I taped three of the stakes together with duct tape and spray painted a blue square on one side. I used spray paint only because I liked the color. Whenever I spray paint things, the wind decides to stir things up -- honestly -- so I used craft paint for the rest of the project.


spray paint blue square on wooden stakes

Painting goes quickly because  you only have to paint the parts that are seen. Remember to paint the sides and ends. It's also much easier to paint before you glue the wood together -- it's easier to keep the stripes even! 

When the paint is dry, you can glue the stakes together. Then, after the glue dries, stencil as many stars as you want on the flag. I had my my little helper demonstrate this step! This is the same stencil I used to make the flag table in my little guy's room.


stencil stars on the flag

If you want to use the flag to decorate your door, add two screws on the back of the flag. Then, wrap some thin wire around each screw to form the hanger. I topped it off with a pretty bow made from red, white and blue ribbons.


attach wire to back of flag with screws and add ribbon

There you go! That's all you need to do to make a pretty patriotic flag for your front door.


wooden American flag made from garden stakes on front door

Three cheers for the red, white and blue! You can use this wooden flag for all of the patriotic holidays, and it would also look great inside the home too.


wooden American flag with red, white and blue ribbons

Thanks for visiting me today, folks! Have a wonderful week!

Dee :)

Sharing At:
Show and Tell Saturday
Show Me What Ya GotTwirl and Take a BowWow Us WednesdaysWhimsy WednesdayWow Me WednesdayWonderful WednesdayCreative Spark PartyWednesdsay RoundupCreative Ways PartyFab Creative FridayFeathered Nest FridayThursday Favorite ThingsFlaunt It FridayWeekend Wind DownParty in your PJsI Heart NaptimePretty PintasticBest of the WeekendDIY Sunday ShowcaseShowlicious PartyHappiness is HomemadeClever ChicksMerry MondayMetamorphosis MondayInspire Me TuesdayThe ScoopTreasure Box TuesdayWhatever Goes WednesdayFreedom FridaysCraft Frenzy FridayWeekend RetreatHappiness is HomemadeFrugal Crafty HomeBefore and AfterTake-A-look TuesdayMonday FundayInspiration MondayBloggers Brags Pinterest PartyAwesome Things TuesdaySay G'DayYour Designs This TimeCook It, Craft It, Share ItYou're Gonna Love it Tuesday

36 comments:

  1. Lovely wooden flag! This would be perfect for the Patriot's Palooza Party! We're asking our bloggy friends to link up anything patriotic in honor of Memorial Day. I hope you'll stop by!

    Navy Wifey Peters
    Patriot's Palooza Patry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, T'onna! I'll be over to join the party! :)

      Delete
  2. Awesome Dee! Love this, great tute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad to know someone can follow my instructions! :)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Cindy. It really looks nice on the door. :)

      Delete
  4. What a sweet little flag sign, looks pretty easy to put together too, and I love simple DIY projects!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diana. It's a very easy craft, and it doesn't take long at all to complete! :)

      Delete
  5. This is such a cute project! Perfect for Memorial Day and Fourth of July! Thanks for the tutorial. Pinned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Lisa. I really appreciate the pin! :)

      Delete
  6. Awesome! Such a great patriotic wreath!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Emily. I'm happy it turned out the way I wanted! :)

      Delete
  7. What a beautiful wooden flag! I think I may could do this. Thanks for the tutorial and for linking up at the Pretty Pintastic Party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for hosting, Alli! This is a very easy project--my favorite kind! :)

      Delete
  8. I just had to pin this! I am visiting and following from the Weekend Wind Down Link Party. Hope you will stop by my blog: http://reviewsbykelly.blogspot.com/ and say Hi! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for pinning, Kelly. I would love to stop by your blog--see you later! :)'

      Delete
  9. Super cute! I love all things red, white & blue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gina. I love these colors too! :)

      Delete
  10. Hi Dee - Love this flag! Thanks for joining our Patriot's Palooza party and Happy Memorial Day. Hugs, Holly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Holly. Hope you had a great holiday, too! :)

      Delete
  11. This is a great project for little boys to do! I'm pinning it to my Summer Fun Board!

    Thanks so much for sharing your creativity with us at Show-Licious Craft & Recipe Party! Hope to see you again next Saturday morning starting at 8:00 am EST!

    ~ Ashley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for pinning, Ashley. My kids enjoy helping me with my projects, and this is fun for the family. :)

      Delete
  12. So creative to use garden stakes to make your patriotic door hanging. Love it. Thanks for sharing on Merry Monday. Pinned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for pinning and hosting the party, Erlene! :)

      Delete
  13. This is such a cool idea! I love projects made with supplies on hand. Thanks for sharing with Creative Spark Link Party.
    Glenna @ My Paper Craze

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Glenna. I hate wasting anything, especially wood! :)

      Delete
  14. What a great tutorial on making the flag from garden stakes. This will be a fun project with the kids.
    Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop! I hope you’ll join us again next week!

    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick
    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kathy. It is a fun project, and the kids love helping. :)

      Delete
  15. I love this project! Thank you so much for sharing with us on Party in Your PJs. I wanted to let you know that I have featured you this week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again for the feature and for hosting the party! :)

      Delete
  16. I love this project and think I'm going to use it for my daycare kids to make for their parents. thanks for a great project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a wonderful idea--I'm sure that the parents will love it! :)

      Delete
  17. Super cute! Could you share the dimensions of the stakes please? Thanks!

    And thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop!

    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are about 16 inches long and 1/2 wide. We bought a package for another project and cut them to size, but I have also seen smaller stakes for sale individually.

      Delete
  18. Love the project. I have some of the stakes in the garage. What size were they cut down to? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ronald. These started out as 3-feet stakes and are now about 16 inches from the tip. I know they sell smaller ones, but this is what we had. Hope this helps. : )

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love receiving your comments, and I will respond on the blog as soon as I can! If you need to email me directly, check my About page for my email address.